Hero banner image


Type of Appointments

At Alpha Medical Practice we operate a flexible appointment system to suit the needs of our patients. After careful consideration, we have divided all our appointments into different categories. These are following types of appointments available:

  • Book on the day
  • Pre-bookable
  • Telephone consultation
  • Online only appointments
  • Emergency appointments

For on the Day Appointment, you must ring at 8 am. Please note that appointments are served on first ring first get basis so please be patient and keep trying. Also please note that there will be a queue on the telephone system due to huge call volume especially at and around 8 am. We aim to answer all calls as soon as possible and quickly dispose them. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Triage System

Most of our appointment are triaged by a “Triage Team” which consists of a Doctor (GP), Independent Prescribing Pharmacist (IP) , Nurse and Health Care Assistant (HCA). After the appointment has been triaged, if appointment issue has not been resolved in the triaged, it is then transferred to the relevant clinician/staff. Please be patient during the triage process, we ensure high quantity of patients are seen daily with the appropriate clinician and with the highest level of care.

Extended Surgery Opening Hours

Below are the times in which we have extended our opening hours for surgery. Please note that priority is given to patients who cannot make morning or afternoon appointments like working people. Telephone consultations are now also available during these extended opening hours.

  • Sat: 9am-1pm
  • Mon: 6:30pm-8pm

Home Visits

Whilst we encourage our patients to come to the surgery, where we have the proper equipment and facilities available, we do appreciate this is not always possible. In this respect, if you do need a home visit, you can help us by calling reception before 11:00am. You may only request a home visit if you are housebound or are too ill to visit the practice. Your GP will only visit you at home if they think that your medical condition requires it and will also decide how urgently a visit is needed. Please bear this in mind and be prepared to provide suitable details to enable the doctor to schedule house calls. You can also be visited at home by a community nurse if you are referred by your GP. You should also be visited at home by a health visitor if you have recently had a baby or if you are newly registered with a GP and have a child under five years.


All patients are entitled to have a chaperon present for any consultation. Please request this at the time of booking or speak to your GP.


If you cannot attend an appointment for any reason, please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to give the slot to someone else.

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificates for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence That You Are Sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay). It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise. You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ‘Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury. For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).